GEO BON was invited to attend the Second GEO Data Providers workshop.
The First GEO Data Providers workshop was held as a side event at the GEO-XIII Plenary in St Petersburg, Russia, to strengthen dialogue with data providers and to improve the discoverability, accessibility and usability of GEOSS resources.
Given the high level of interest and success of the initial workshop, a more comprehensive event of two days was hosted by the Italian National Research Council (CNR) in Florence, Italy, from 20th to 21st of April, 2017, in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA).
GEO BON acts as test case for the new developed DAB API (WMS Search GEO DAB) which was presented during the workshop. In collaboration which GEO and CNR, GEO BON is enhancing this application to search EBV-useable and ready datasets for the upcoming EBV Spatial Browser.
Objectives of the workshop were:
- Grow the GEO Data Providers community and discuss key principles.
- Embrace the GEOSS Vision: To realize a future where decisions and actions, for the benefit of humankind, are informed by coordinated, comprehensive and sustained Earth observation information and services.
- Learnmore about GCI operations.
- Dialogue on critical elements like metadata, data quality and GEOSS Data Management Principles.
- Learn about GEOSS brokering agreements, how to contribute data and resources to GEOSS.
- Learn more about how data are used by users.
- Discuss Open Access –beyond discovery, data policy.
- Discuss benefits and issues for GEOSS Data Providers.
Special Thanks goes to the GEO Data Providers Workshop Organizing Commitee:
Stefano Nativi, Joost van Bemmelen, Steven Ramage, Guido Colangeli, Falkenroth Esa, Mustapha Mokrane, Rich Frazier, Kenneth McDonald, Gregory Giuliani, Lionel Menard, Osamu Ochiai, Mattia Santoro, Paola De Salvo, Wenbo Chu, Mariella Liberti